Thursday, July 19, 2012

Wine On Starboard

Ireland is calling but the Azores continues to hold Ostinato captive. It has now been 3 days past the expected date for the boom repairs. As of this morning, when it didn't show up, the anointed time was moved to 3 The plan was to begin crossing today. The wind is good.

To keep myself busy, I have washed clothes, filled the sugar and salt shakers, replenished the soap dispensers and worked on stocking the wine cellar with Portuguese wines. I've decided to splurge a bit and go for the 3.90€ wine. Not only is the wine pretty good, we need weight to balance out the starboard side of the boat. Tools on the port side, wine on starboard. I found a sale yesterday for .50€. I was so excited that I was going to beat Ed's 1€ wine find. It appeared you had to have the store card, kinda like Winn Dixie, I thought. King set off to apply. Unfortunately, he determined that it was the store credit card and, while he was willing to support my wine competition with Ed, he really didn't want another credit card.

King sent Herb (the weather guy on the SSB radio) an email this morning advising him that we were preparing for departure. It is doubtful that we will be able to benefit from Herb's great service, however, propagation has been terrible since we have arrived in the Azores. Although King and Ed have continued to work on improving the reception, there are limits. So, we have been looking at grib files from NOAA and other international sites, talking to fellow cruisers to learn what services they are using and searching the web. King is looking at Predict Wind but has yet to commit.

3:15....The boom has arrived! We leave for Ireland in the morning with Layla, one of the boats in our group from Bermuda. Everyone is ready.
Putting her back together
I know its in there somewhere
Boom repairs...not exactly what we asked for

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see you got the boom fixed, I hope your crossing is uneventfull and you have smooth sailing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys have sure proven that you have to throw out the schedule!

    ReplyDelete